How To Grow Purple Loosestrife?

 I would like to tell you how to grow one of the most interesting plants I have in my garden - purple loosestrife. I've had it in my garden for three years and it still amazes me. I love watching the bees fly around the flower panicles.   If you like my articles, follow my Facebook profile. It will be a great motivation for me to write new interesting articles. I also invite you to my Facebook group.




Purple Loosestrife(Lythrum salicaria)


 A perennial plant with characteristic, usually purple flowers gathered in panicles. It grows up to 150cm(60in)! It naturally occurs in Europe and Asia in wetlands. The Loosestrife blooms from July to September. Flowers are often visited by bees and butterflies.




Planting(Where, When and How to plant)


 These plants can be planted from spring to fall. Summer planting only when the root ball is well formed. It is best to plant the loosestrife in a sunny spot in fertile, moderately moist soil.




Cultivation


 The plant should be watered during drought because the lack of water can cause problems with flowering. If it is grown in fertile soil, it does not need fertilizer, while if it is grown in less fertile soil, an organic fertilizer rich in potassium and phosphorus should be provided. The plant is fully frost-resistant and does not require uncovering for the winter.




Propagation


 Older plants should be propagated by division. It is recommended to use a spade, because the loosestrife has a strong and difficult to separate root system. It's also a way to rejuvenate bloodstone. In addition, shoot cuttings can be obtained and rooted. The procedure is performed in early summer.




The best place for loosestrife


 Taller varieties should be planted at the back of the border, then they will be an ideal background for shorter plants. I know from experience that the lower varieties will work perfectly on the edge of the border. Varieties that prefer a more moist substrate will do well on the shores of small ponds. You will certainly choose the perfect place for your loosestrife in your garden.




 Thank you for reading my article, hope it was helpful. I invite you to read my other articles. Have a great time working in your garden!!!

Comments

Popular Posts